LOCAL SPONSOR

Mahi Bite Picking Up Offshore

New Smyrna/Daytona Beach Fishing Reports Forums Fishing Reports Mahi Bite Picking Up Offshore

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    June 1, 2020
    empty

It's MAHI MAHI time!

We had a fun week of fishing offshore in the New Smyrna Beach area, but the mahi bite, although strong, is not what we have seen in the past few years. On a good day we may get six fish over 30lbs, and on a normal day, we would get one gaffer, a couple of bailers and some marlin muffins. Anyway, we found some nice blue/green temperature break fingers, and we followed those around for Mahi and Blackfin. Still waiting on my big blue. We trolled naked ballyhoo and it really doesn’t matter how you rig them, just get the damn things swimming right (for starters).

REMEMBER, even though you may think your bait looks great next to the boat at 7 knots, does not mean that all species of fish think the same. Play around with speeds and configurations and you will be happy you did.

Pictured above is a wonderful client named Matt with a nice Mahi he got yesterday in New Smyrna Beach offshore during his fishing charter with us. The fish would have never eaten had we not changed speeds regularly throughout the day. I kept seeing purple flashes from the tower and it looked like the mahi kept missing it. Slowed down a knot and this is the result.

PERMITS ARE BEING TRANSFERRED TO THE NEW BOAT THIS WEEK! LET’S FISH THE DEEP!!!!

Attachments:

I love taking time to teach people what I know if they are interested. I have captained and maintained all types of vessels from 10 foot skiffs all the way to 100 foot monohulls. I strive to make your day on the water as fun and as comfortable as possible, while catching fish and learning about the ecosystem. Call (386) 690-7406 to book a trip, or visit BVO Fishing on the web.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

To respond with a comment, or register here to create your free account.

Subscribe to Win!

Sign up here for a chance to win our monthly prize — $50 GIFT CARD from New Smyrna Outfitters!

You must be logged in to a Fishtona account to sign up for this giveaway! or register here to subscribe and enter the contest.

Scouting Report

If you just want to share an observation about current conditions, but not a full fishing report, post it here!

To make a new post, or register here to create your free account.

Introduce Yourself

To make a new post, or register here to create your free account.

Post On Fishtona!

To post a report or another type of topic, or register here to create your free account.

Login

Login to participate on the Fishtona.com community.

Join Fishtona!

Register to become a member of the Fishtona.com community.

Sorry, registration is temporarily closed.