LOCAL SPONSOR

New Smyrna Beach Surf Fishing Report

New Smyrna/Daytona Beach Fishing Reports Forums Fishing Reports New Smyrna Beach Surf Fishing Report

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    March 28, 2020
    empty

Surf fishing has been just about as good as it gets here in our area. Right now anglers are enjoying catches of pompano and whiting along our beaches. If you work your way closer to Ponce Inlet you are more likely to pick up a sheepshead, bluefish or even a nice black drum. The primary go-to baits have been live sand fleas, fresh dead shrimp and Fishbites in clam, crab and sand fleas flavors.

To target these fish we are using a traditional pompano rig set up. We make our own but to make it easy, every bait & tackle shop will have what you need. Just tell them you need a pompano rig and a 4oz. pyramid weight. I prefer the sputnik or also known as a spider style weights. They dig into the sand better so you can put more tension on your line when you set your rod in the sand spike and reel it tight. It helps me see the bite.

Most folks think the rod will double over when a fish hits but many times that’s not the case at all. The fish will grab your bait and head towards you and you will see your line go slack. Grab the rod and reel as fast as you can, you probably have a fish on!

This time of year is one of my personal favorites, in addition to traditional surf charters we conduct we also run shark fishing charters as well. The blacktip shark migration is starting and man oh man what a fun experience! We target these fish using larger spinning combos as well as larger 50 wide combos. We like to bring a kayak and paddle our baits out past the breakers and many times by the time we get back to the beach it fish on!

If you would like to spend a day targeting some of these species form the beach give me a call and let’s book a charter to go fishing!

Attachments:
    1. surf fishing pompano

Byran is a professional surf fishing and land based shark fishing guide based out New Smyrna Beach, FL. Call (386) 216-8025 to book a trip, or visit Southern Bred Fishing Charters on the web.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

To respond with a comment, or register here to create your free account.

Subscribe to Win!

Sign up here for a chance to win our monthly prize — $50 GIFT CARD from New Smyrna Outfitters!

You must be logged in to a Fishtona account to sign up for this giveaway! or register here to subscribe and enter the contest.

Scouting Report

If you just want to share an observation about current conditions, but not a full fishing report, post it here!

To make a new post, or register here to create your free account.

Introduce Yourself

To make a new post, or register here to create your free account.

Post On Fishtona!

To post a report or another type of topic, or register here to create your free account.

Login

Login to participate on the Fishtona.com community.

Join Fishtona!

Register to become a member of the Fishtona.com community.

Sorry, registration is temporarily closed.