LOCAL SPONSOR

NSB Offshore – Mahi, Red Snapper, Etc.

New Smyrna/Daytona Beach Fishing Reports Forums Fishing Reports NSB Offshore – Mahi, Red Snapper, Etc.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    July 10, 2020
    empty

A nice mahi caught on a recent offshore fishing trip out of New Smyrna Beach.

Hi everybody, BVO fishing here with a quick report.

The seasons are changing and so is the fishing here in the New Smyrna Beach Florida area. As we roll into these hot summer months, be cautious when heading offshore. What may look calm in the morning can become 5-6 foot seas within a matter of minutes.

As this warm weather pattern sets in, the fishing up top gets slower. Trolling after 10 or 11 am is usually fruitless, as the surface is just too hot for bait, so they sit lower in the water column during midday hours. If you are heart-set on trolling, take advantage of the morning and evening hours. We find it more productive to bottom fish during those midday hours when it’s hot as all hell.

The mahi bite has been consistent out of Ponce Inlet lately. When trolling mahi, our favorite bait is dead naked ballyhoo. Sometimes we rig them with chugger heads so that they make a little smoke in the water. On charters and commercial trips, we also make wire pin rigs as opposed to monofilament when the kingfish or wahoo are biting. With all of the toothy critters in New Smynra Beach, these wire pin rigs help us land those fish, that we otherwise would not land. The rig also works just as well on any other species out there.

red snapper fishing Red snapper season is about to kick off this weekend!

Red Snapper Season is HERE!

Believe it or not we do our fair share of bottom fishing also, and red snapper are the most likely species to find on the bottom the New Smyrna Beach area. Simply put, we have an overabundance of them. If you like to eat fish, I highly recommend booking a red snapper trip. The designated days to keep red snapper have been announced and they are July 10-12th and 17th. You only get to keep one per person, but we know where the big ones live and will make the most of the restrictions. New Smyrna Beach offshore Red Snapper trips will take place on BVO’s newest vessel, a 31 ft Stamas. This long range fishing boat will take you anywhere you want to go, safely and dry. It is perfect for a large group or the whole family.

Good luck out there and have a great week. Hopefully you are able to work some fishing into the mix!.

Attachments:
    1. red snapper fishing

I love taking time to teach people what I know if they are interested. I have captained and maintained all types of vessels from 10 foot skiffs all the way to 100 foot monohulls. I strive to make your day on the water as fun and as comfortable as possible, while catching fish and learning about the ecosystem. Call (386) 690-7406 to book a trip, or visit BVO Fishing on the web.

July 10, 2020

Great report cap and thank you for the words of caution regarding the weather. I have been caught in my fair share of afternoon thunderstorms offshore over the years and it’s definitely something people need to take serious. Hope you crush it for red snapper mini season!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

To respond with a comment, or register here to create your free account.

Subscribe to Win!

Sign up here for a chance to win our monthly prize — $50 GIFT CARD from New Smyrna Outfitters!

You must be logged in to a Fishtona account to sign up for this giveaway! or register here to subscribe and enter the contest.

Scouting Report

If you just want to share an observation about current conditions, but not a full fishing report, post it here!

To make a new post, or register here to create your free account.

Introduce Yourself

To make a new post, or register here to create your free account.

Post On Fishtona!

To post a report or another type of topic, or register here to create your free account.

Login

Login to participate on the Fishtona.com community.

Join Fishtona!

Register to become a member of the Fishtona.com community.

Sorry, registration is temporarily closed.